If you are familiar with computer and smart phone technologies, you know that these devices can become overloaded and get bogged down doing all the multitasking we require them to do. I need to periodically go in and shut down all the apps that are open and then completely turn the device off. When I turn it off it reverts to its original settings and it solves all the problems I’m having with it. Notice how, if you open multiple apps, the machine becomes less efficient, eventually freezing up.
The same is true of our mind. We live in a complex multitasking society that requires us to constantly “think” about a multitude of “concerns”. We occupy ourselves with regrets about the mistakes we made in the past, worry about a plethora of concerns about the future and how other people see us or think about us. All this fragments the energy of our attention, draining us of our precious life energy. Our body reacts to all these thoughts with emotion, creating a chaotic stressful inner reality. Just like our electronic devices, our mind requires a periodic reset, a daily shut down.
Take three to five minutes, two to three times a day, find a minimally distracting place, and perform the following seven step exercise I call entering The No Thought Zone.
- Focus your sight on a fixed object (anything from a spot on the wall, to a candle flame, or do this with a friend and stare at their left eye.)
- Feel the physical sensation of your feet on the floor (don’t think about you feet, feel them.)
- Feel your buttocks pressing down on whatever you’re sitting on, while doing steps 1 & 2.
- Be aware of sounds around you without think about or labeling them, while doing steps 1, 2 & 3.
- Expand your peripheral vision to its fullest. We have 210 degrees of peripheral vision we rarely use, while doing steps 1, 2, 3, &4.
- Turn the palms of your hands up on your lap and feel the palms of your hands without touching them. Its like feeling your hands from the inside, while doing steps 1, 2,3, 4 & 5.
- Now,do it all, all at once, 1 thru 6. Concentrate ALL your attention intensely on these physical sensations for a minimum of two minutes.
You succeed when your thoughts subside and you can honestly claim 100% of your attention Here/Now.
Do this reset two to three times a day, or when you need to. Each time you perform this simple exercise your mind and body will be flooded with positive peaceful energy.